Houston Car Accident Lawyers > Articles > Truck Accident Attorney > Houston Truck Accident Lawyer
Houston Truck Accident Lawyer
Houston Truck Accident Lawyer
Commercial trucking accidents often result in significant injuries and property damage. You may be entitled for compensation if you are injured in such accidents, but getting compensation from truck accidents is a little complex compared to other vehicle accidents. As far as commercial truck accidents are concerned, there is often more than one responsible party or negligent party. Your truck accident lawyer can help you identify the responsible parties in your accident and file a claim on your behalf.
Why You May Need A Lawyer
The reasons why you may need a truck accident lawyer include:
- Truck accidents often cause catastrophic injuries that take several months to recover from and cost a lot of money to treat.
- Commercial liability insurance policies cover both truck drivers and the companies that they work for. These insurance companies are often not willing to offer truck accident victims a fair settlement for their injuries.
- Since truck drivers often use interstate routes and may not be residents of Texas, you need a lawyer that understands laws in other states and federal rules and regulations.
Talk to an attorney as soon as possible following an accident. Insurance companies and trucking companies usually send investigators to the scene of the accident the day the collision happened to gather evidence that can help diminish your claim. Your attorney can investigate with the help of experts to gather evidence that help strengthen your claim.
Your Lawyer Can Prove That The Trucking Company And Its Driver Were AT Fault
The at-fault party is the party that is responsible for the losses that occur in an accident. Your lawyer can obtain the driver’s logs and all the maintenance and employment records , and investigate the scene of the crime with a reconstruction team. All the information your lawyer gathers can help determine:
- Whether the driver exceeded the maximum number of driving hours
- Whether the truck driver violated other Federal safety laws
- Whether the driver was fatigued
- Whether the driver was distracted at the time of impact
- How fast the truck was traveling at the time of impact
Your lawyer will also talk to your doctor to determine the nature of your injuries, and then work with experts to calculate the amount of compensation you deserve.
Texas Truck Accident Claims Process
Your truck accident lawyer can answer questions about the truck accident claims process. Generally the process involves:
- An investigation to gather evidence and determine the at-fault party for the accident will be conducted
- After evidence is gathered, your lawyer will file a claim against the at-fault party and the claim will include all the losses you suffered in the collision
- Your lawyer will then negotiate with the trucking company or the company’s insurer on your behalf so that you can get a fair settlement
- In case you are not offered a fair settlement , your lawyer will take the case to court
Causes Of Truck Accidents
There are thousands of trucks that transport cargo daily on interstate routes. The most common truck accident causes include:
- Failure to yield
- Overloading of trucks
- Driver fatigue
- Unsafe lane changing
- Reckless driving
Other things that can cause a truck accident include adverse weather conditions, bad roads, and poor visibility.