Can you File a Police Report Days After an Accident?

Call the Houston Car Accident Law Firm at (832) 463-1003.

If you’ve been in a car accident causing $1000.00 of damage or more, Texas law requires a crash report to be filed with the Texas Department of Transportation. Here are the following steps that must be taken to ensure a smooth process:

1) Call the police. A police officer needs to be on the scene to fill out a crash report with as much detailed information as you can provide for law enforcement as well as your insurance carrier.

2) Gather Information. Regardless of who seems to be at fault for the accident, make sure to get the contact information of the other driver(s), their insurance information, license plate(s), and any witness contact information at the scene.

3) Call your insurance company and report the accident.

The Texas Department of Transportation collects crash reports from law enforcement personnel.  If a police officer was not called to the scene, you will need to fill out a driver crash report (CR-2) within 10 days of the accident. This report can be downloaded online from the Texas Department of Transportation website.

Be sure to include the following information:

  • Date and time of accident
  • Location of the accident including the street(s) and the city or town.
  • Every driver involved including the driver’s name(s), vehicle type(s), and their insurance information
  • Description of the damage to your vehicle and surrounding damage
  • Any injury to the driver as well as your vehicle occupants
  • Personal statement describing the events that led to your accident
  • Signature on the document

If you or anyone you know is involved in a car accident, please contact 832-463-1003 and our accident attorneys will provide a free consultation!

Other Auto Accident Articles…