Houston Car Accident Lawyers > Articles > Injuries > Houston Wrongful Death Lawyer
Houston Wrongful Death Lawyer
Houston Wrongful Death Lawyer
Wrongful death is a claim filed against a party that can be held liable for a death. Hundreds of people die in Houston because of the negligent actions of others. For example, drunk drivers can cause fatal accidents because the alcohol in their system decreases their reaction time. An experienced wrongful death lawyer can help you file a wrongful death claim if you lost a loved one because of the negligence of someone else. No amount of money can bring back your loved one but you may need compensation especially if your loved one was the primary financial provider. It can also help with funeral costs and other costs related to your case.
How A Lawyer Can Help
For you to get compensated for a wrongful death, you will need to prove that the other party’s negligence led to your loved one’s death. For example, just because a driver involved in an accident was drunk at the moment a car accident happened does not mean that the driver was at fault. An object on the road or poor visibility conditions could have caused the accident. If you are not able to tie the driver’s drunkenness directly to the accident, then you may not get compensated.
However, if the drunk driver was driving recklessly and hit you as a result, then that driver is at-fault. This applies to all types of wrongful death situations such as slip and fall, defective products and more. A wrongful death lawyer is needed in these cases because the lawyer can argue clearly why negligent actions by the defendant led to the death. The lawyer can also carry out an investigation with experts to help gather evidence that can prove that the other party was at-fault in your wrongful death case.
Causes Of Wrongful Death
Some of the causes of wrongful death cases include:
- Motor vehicle crashes caused by drunk drivers: drunk drivers are the leading cause of fatal accidents not just in Houston but in the entire nation. They are more likely to change lanes recklessly, drive on wrong way on the free way, or lose control on the road.
- Malpractice by a doctor: A wrongful death can also occur when a doctor fails to treat an ailment correctly or fails to identify an ailment. For example, a patient can die from taking the wrong medicine that was prescribed by a doctor.
- Assault or attacks by criminals: There are hundreds of cases in Houston where an individual dies because of assault or criminal actions from another party.
- Drowning: Certain pool owners and property operators do not maintain the basic safety required by the law at their pools. This raises the possibility of someone drowning.
- Defective products: A manufacturer of a defective product can be held liable for a death caused by that defective product. A defective product can choke, burn, electrocute or poison a person to death.
- Construction accidents: Workers or visitors can suffer injuries or even die on a construction site because of fall accidents or from using faulty heavy equipment.